Fact is, in this high tech, Web 2.0 world, there's been a return to a crunchy granola hippie time and I'm frankly not cool enough to go along. Examples:
- Nursing in public. I breastfeed but don't nurse in public. Not with a blanket, not without a blanket. I don't find it comfortable. I'd much rather breastfeed at home on my couch with a bunch of pillows. And though I'm pumping at work now, once I'm over this whole breastfeeding thing, I'm giving the baby formula. I'm not even going to pretend I'm going to do this for a year, as recommended.
- VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarian). I had a C-section with my first baby (not intentionally) and I had a C-section with my second baby. I didn't try to have a vaginal birth and I certainly didn't try to have the baby at home (as did two people I knew the same month my little one was born.)
- Vaccinations. I vaccinate my kids, using the schedule provided by my doctor. I don't create my own schedule or skip vaccinations.
- Baby wearing. I have this giant Moby Wrap. I've worn it twice. And I didn't get it from Amazon, I got it from this natural store which I had never even seen before (I looked up where I could get the wrap), so it was organic cotton, making the cost per use $35 a wearing. And I've never been to a baby wearing group.
- Baby food. I'm not going to make my own It's Gerber all the way. And I'm probably going to use the non organic kind too.
Despite my uncoolness, my kids are happy, healthy, and delightful.